Volcano Boarding is an activity unique to Nicaragua. Multiple companies around León offer the activity for between $21-30 USD and include transfers, snacks, water and equipment. Most people tend to choose companies such as Bigfoot and Volcano day, both around $30 USD and offering extras like free T-shirts. Nicatime sits on the cheaper end of the scale at $21 plus $5 entry. $4 cheaper than the other companies but without a free t-shirt. Booking is possible from most hostels and hotels.
Tips for Volcano Boarding:
- Bring a towel/scarf to cover your mouth and nose from small rocks and sand.
- Hats help keep the dirt out of your hair but can fly off if not on tightly.
- Pull the board handle back to avoid the front being buried in sand.
- Putting your feet on the board will result in more speed very quickly.
- Slow down by putting your feet in the sand on both sides of the board.
- Lean back and pull up the front of the board to gain speed.